Owner’s stories about their IVDD hounds


Our beautiful little 11 year old Ebony suddenly, without any previous warning, also became a victim to the dreaded IVDD at 8.15 am on the morning of the 25 June 16.

Well as they say, strike while the iron is hot, and this is exactly what I did.  Ebony was operated on that afternoon by Ralph and the amazing team at South Paws. It only took her 4 days to achieve the drunken IVDD waddle, and with exercise and strict crate rest, after four weeks she now struts with a very petite IVDD waddle.

I cannot stress enough that every dachshund owner become a member of DISA, as it is imperative to have the knowledge, care and understanding that team DISA can provide to us all. The crate and pack service set up by DISA and held by members around Victoria has been a god send for many owners at a time in need.

DISA really do have our dachshunds backs- Julie


My name is Lynne and I wanted to share my IVDD story with you all, in the hope that it can give you some hope and inspiration on your path through the tough journey.  My boy’s name is Frank and he is a smooth haired miniature and he was 4 1/2 when he went down.


There were several occasions when Lulu had a sore back, she was trembling and hunched up.  After a vet visit we gave her pain meds and anti inflammatories and, with crate rest, she came good. When do you go that step further and get a scan?  No one can tell you….the last time it happened it was worse.  Within 30 mins of taking the meds she couldn’t move her back legs….we were devastated; not sure if it was the valium the vet gave her to relax.


Growing up with dachshunds as a young girl, they always had a special place in my heart and Madeline was my first very own sausage! I remember driving hours one weekend to pick her up. We had the pick of the litter; 8 little tan short haired dachshunds greeted us at the door, Maddie come running up and did a little piddle on my foot, I said to dad, I want her!!!! The most spoilt little girl of the house hold and that started off my obsession with dachshunds, now owning 5!!!!


Our encounter with IVDD started with a Yelp! It was the Friday evening of Mother’s Day weekend 2015. I picked Poppy up to put her in the car and she yelped. Oh no. Saturday morning we were at the vet who confirmed it was her back and gave her pain killers and advised keeping her quiet.  But, through the day, she didn’t seem to be getting better, in fact, she got worse and worse. At bedtime I thought “We’ll be back at the vet in the morning”, but hoped she would benefit from some sleep. By 2 am Sunday morning (Mother’s Day) Poppy’s back legs had lost function and she was in clear pain. I knew I had to move fast. I rang the after-hours number for the vet and met him at 3am for a very serious discussion.

Snickers the Sausage

On the 21st of March 2016 my partner and I took our bambino Snickers out for a walk with his big sister, Sally the labradoodle, after a long day spent moving house. The walk went as per usual, he sniffed, barked, tried to chase a few people and we carried on home. As soon as we got home Snickers (AKA Snicky) went into his sleeping bag and burrowed deep (as most sausages do) while my partner and I spent about 2 or so hours watching TV. When it was time to do the bed routine, such as a drink then toilet before nodding off for the night, I noticed something different in Snicky. I saw he was struggling to walk using his back legs, and he was looking rather ‘drunk’! My heart started to race, as I knew the nightmare all dachshund owners have was coming true – my boy was suffering from IVDD!